Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How to Change the World, part one

You may have noticed my inconsistency in posting. At first my plan was to post once a week. But I have found that my motivation is highly linked with having something to say…which I suppose is a good thing for all of us. I’ve been thinking about this one for a while now, and it’ll run in a series.

In an earlier post, I noted that many institutions, experts and professionals talk a good game about innovation and reform, but mostly they want someone else to do the changing, not themselves. It’s like a family thing. You may think your sister is mean, stupid and ugly, but if anybody else says so, you’ll knock their lights out. People in bureaucracies usually know things aren’t working, but they’ll defend the status quo with their lives.


waiting...


The way to change the world is not to wait for someone else. My mom and sister have been waiting for each other to change for fifty years. I suspect there will be little change even if they should both live another fifty. I want to suggest that there are five things each and every one of us has the power to do. Collectively, we’d change the world—a helluva lot faster and far more meaningfully than the government will ever do... And in the process we’ll each live a happier life.

1. Take care of your health.
2. Talk, read or sing to young children.
3. Save.
4. Use less gasoline.
5. Do a small kindness every day.

The common argument is that the actions of one person cannot possibly make a difference. But I want to argue the opposite— it already IS mattering. We don’t need to digress into the sentimentality of It’s a Wonderful Life to see that the choices we make impact not only our own lives, by the lives of those around as was well as those lives of people we may never meet.

It’s not so much the heroic effort but the collective effort that counts. In a me-first society we may reject the idea of collective effort. But then again, we’re not borgs, we’re compatriots on this planet. And I believe that most of us search for our legacy, knowing it will never be riches or fame. It’s nice to know that it is within our humble selves to change the world.

I’ve selected the five based on: 1) the degree to which an individual has control over choices; 2) the magnitude of direct and possible spin off effects; 3) the nature of potential change in our culture. Maybe you have a different suggestion for the top five. I’d love to hear them!



Next up: taking care of your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment